9.27.2009

Wetzel column on the Lions

Congratulations for finally getting "King Kong" off your back!

I'm often up and down on Wetzel - sometimes I love his writing, sometimes I think it's a little over the top and insincere. However, his approach to this article - taking small snapshots of the losing streak and turning it around - was fantastic and really touching, even though the subject really is not a particularly endearing story. Although, in a way, it might be the people of Detroit that can best empathize with the experience of the younger Lions - not many people have managed to fail at the one thing they're paid to do for over a year and had to show up to work again the next week getting back at it.

Down the way, second-year lineman Gosder Cherilus(notes) had just won his first NFL game. He talked about how every Sunday night his mother cooks a huge postgame dinner, a recipe from their native Haiti that calls for lots of beans and rice. And now, he said, he wouldn’t have to fake his enjoyment of it.

“My mother is a great cook but it never tastes good,” he said. “I don’t know what she’s going to make [Sunday], but I’m going to have two plates of it.”

While the surprising 2-1 Bengals are the talk of the NFL, it's good to hear that the Lions, at least, are no longer the joke of the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment