9.09.2009

Pick 'EM: Week 1

Pick 'em Losers Bracket:

Pick 1 team per week to LOSE.
Forget about the spread, we are just trying to predict who will lose.
You can only pick a team once during the season.
If your team wins, you're out.
Last player standing wins.

You can pick your team up until kickoff of that game. Only those that pick for Week 1 are eligible for the season (and if for some reason you can't pick (vacation, jump off a train, etc.), then I'll give you the underdog in the Monday night game, then the MNF favoritem, then the Sunday night underdog, etc.).

Steve wanted to have all of the picks public (and I agree), so please leave them as comments (or email them to be and I can add them). Trash talking your team or other players picks is highly encouraged.

26 comments:

  1. To start off, I'm going with an easy one. My pick is an AFC East rival that is floundering more than Magikarp. I couldn't imagine a more slam dunk pick than a team that:
    1. Fired its offensive coordinator a week before the season starts.
    2. Fired its starting left tackle less than a week before the season starts.
    3. Plays a Darth Vader-led squad at home in the Death Star (aka Gillette Stadium).

    Therefore, I am going with the hapless Bills in Week 1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, if I jumped off of a train, I would STILL be able to get my pick in on time. That's probably because I've had experience jumping off trains and can figure out my priorities when I first come to.

    Anyway, I don't know why Brett hates on the Bills so much. New England's defense is running now more on reputation than on actual defense. Since defense wins games, and lack of an offensive coordinator tends to lose them, I'm going with the Kansas City Chiefs lining up against Ray Rice and the Baltimore Ravens this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction: you can pick until kickoff of the first game played that week, this week it's Thursday 8:30

    ReplyDelete
  4. If that's what we're going to do, Brett should send an email at least for this week updating the rules, because I'm not sure everyone's gonna check the blog in time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much as I would love to disagree with Brett's pick of the Bills it makes too much logical sense ... my dad and I are both thinking over 5 sacks on the Bills qb that game ... poor Edwards.

    I'm going to have to go with the Oakland Raiders who have the unfortunately privledge of opening the season against the Chargers. I mean, any team owned by Al Davis is destined to be getting early draft picks and spending them on interesting choices, so there aren't really any expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. when I read this idea, the first team that came to my mind was Oakland. Because I want to chose a different team than you guys and because of my local roots I must go with the Raiders being demolished by a trash-talking LT. He'll have a field day on the notoriously poor Raiders run defense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. harpgirl just beat me to the raiders. lorrie is that you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harpgirl is Casey I believe. Titans are going to lose on Thursday: Kenny Britt will emerge as a true #1 option, Lendale White will get 2 short TDs, but Chris Johnson will go nowhere and it won't be enough to take Pitt at home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harpgirl is most certainly Casey. Titans?! Really? Remember when Lendale the Slightly Chubby Dolphin was stomping a Terrible Towel 15 feet into the ground? There's only 17 weeks in the season - picking a team considered to be one of the top 15 in the NFL is probably not a good way to start off a Pick 'Em league.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also, to those of you who think that the Raiders are vastly inferior to the Chargers and believe that the Chargers will just run roughshod over the Raiders, I present to you the following: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Chargers-are-hungry-and-Larry-English-is-buy?urn=nfl,188313

    More specifically, comment 2: "Who's going to fess up to ordering the raspberry sorbet?"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shutdown Corner didn't say anything about the sorbet, but I have my suspicions.

    Also, my idea that you don't have to choose until kickoff of the game that you are going to pick is that you don't gain anything by waiting, you only lose options. However, it might be more fun if everyone gets their picks in early so we can actively jeer one team or another. Or the Bills just cuz.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going with detroit, just cuz.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like Lorrie's reasoning - reminds me of the Sports Gal's picks on ESPN. Should we have a side pot pitting Brett against Lorrie?

    Also, Brett, did you invite DBerg for this?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm new so I am a bit late, but I'll take the Browns. Go Brett Favre!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dave is also jumping on the Raiders' bandwagon. (Bandwagon jumping is much more fun when the team you're getting behind absolutely blows.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bibler's going with another Offensive Coordinator-less team: the Kansas City Chiefs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Raiders stink, so I'm going with them

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ryan chose the Florida Leftwiches, btw

    ReplyDelete
  19. Crap...late to the party, as much as I hate to be a bandwagon jumper, I'm going to have to go with the Raiders, also because I need the chargers to stomp them so I can beat Rawson...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Travis is going Raiders too. Let's go Chargers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. brett you one lucky bitch. you two steve chien

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lulu picks Chargers - win/win situation for her. Either she comes out a genius, or she doesn't have to worry about picking again and can just heckle for the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  23. There's been quite a bit of hate out there because the football gods bequeathed me a generous present in the form of the Bills' monumental collapse. However, I defend my pick by noting that my "team" was able to successfully avoid holding onto a seemingly unsquanderable 11 point lead. My strategy: pick teams that are allergic to winning. The Bengals also seem to be in need of some Claritin: NFL formula.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i love all the hate i got for my tennessee picks. keep it coming, i'll probably pick the pats next week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Actually, i just wanted to note that every team that I've shown hate for have struggled to lose - bills, titans, and now the raiders (who have not won an opener in 6 years) against the raspberry sorbets.

    ReplyDelete