9.09.2009

Terrelle Pryor and the 1st Amendment

They do say that if you can't say something nice, don't say something at all. Maybe the new rule should be, "if you can't say something that sounds like it's been prepared by a professional public relations expert, you shouldn't say anything at all."

That might be what Terrelle Pryor is feeling after his poorly expressed sentence this past week while expressing support for his childhood hero Michael Vick.

Ok, as expressing support goes, you might want to tone it down a little bit:


“Not everybody is the perfect person in the world,” he said of Vick. “Everyone does, kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me. I just feel that people need to give him a chance.”


Um... yeah. I think he might want to get a do-over on that one like a punter at the new Texas Stadium. I agree with Wetzel's column more or less, but that being said, I think Wetzel missed an important point - giving a press conference means putting yourself up to far more exposure than dropping comments in a dorm room, or even at a bar, with friends. As a camp counselor, I always liked to tell my guys, think for 3 seconds before you open your mouth. I join in Wetzel's concern over the destruction of individuality and expression in college sports. But, like it or not, a second chance is different from a do-over. And there are just things that you can't do over once you reach some level of exposure. I hope Terrelle, at the least, learned that lesson.

2 comments:

  1. Stan it seems to me people are angrier about Pryor's support of Vick than about his verbiage, as unfortunate as it was. And I'm with Pryor on this one - as despicable as dogfighting is, Vick has done his time.

    ReplyDelete