7.22.2009

Fight! Fight!

A New York Mets executive, Tony Bernazard, recently threw off his shirt and challenged members of one of the Mets' minor league teams to a fight as part of a ... motivational speech of some sorts.

As postgame tirades go, this isn't quite Mike Singletary, but I would argue that it has more potential than the Denny Green meltdown, mainly because I think he maxed out his potential at the press conference and couldn't possibly top that in the locker room. Although he could have pulled a Singletary, but that's just gross and I don't want to think about it.

Back to Mr. Bernazard. I wonder how effective this particular ploy is going to be. I'm going to go on a limb and suggest since this tactic has not much of a history in other contexts, it's probably not the best tried-and-true method to get your team to shape up. Can you picture Obama going, "OK Tim Geithner, you need to stop fucking up, otherwise I'm rolling up my sleeves and cage matching you to death"?

No comments:

Post a Comment