As anyone who reads TMQ knows, Gregg Easterbrook reliably calls the Giants and Jets Jersey/A and Jersey/B, respectively, because as everyone knows, the two teams play in New Jersey rather than New York. Even though I grew up watching and being a fan of the Cowboys starting in middle school, I used to have a soft spot in my heart for the New York teams (my general rule of thumb for alternate fanships is a.) proximity to New Jersey, b.)number of legitimate Asian athletes on the team (sorry Sun Yue, your bit part on the Lakers didn't count), and c.) any other guy instincts that I may have), until I found out in high school that the Giants and Jets actually played in New Jersey but claimed New York in order to have greater market exposure/less embarrassment. That pissed me off, and today, I don't like either team much.
(Side note: there's a prisoner's dilemma nested in that situation, since neither team wants to change its name to Jersey no matter the incentives unless the other one will similarly commit to the name change)
Recently, the Nets dropped their "New Jersey" road uniforms in favor of "Nets" uniforms. This has upset some legislators quite a bit, with one legislator proposing a bill cutting teams' funding unless they recognize who's paying their bills. As he put it,
Is it too much to ask that professional sports teams that benefit from the support of the New Jersey taxpayer recognize the state on their uniforms?
I recognize that this move is to help prep people for the eventual move from East Rutherford to Brooklyn, but this seems to be yet another case of Bruce Ratner not giving a rat's ass about the state and fans of New Jersey, and instead trying to get people to see the "Brooklyn Nets" as soon as possible so that he can sell more merchandise in the new stadium. My J-Lo and Enrique jokes notwithstanding, I definitely feel that Ratner is one of the worst owners in professional sports.
No comments:
Post a Comment