8.04.2009

The Ewing Theory and the 1985 Draft

Here's an interesting article by a physics grad student (props) that discusses the optimal usage of a superstar player in basketball. His analysis was motivated by Bill Simmons' Ewing Theory, which is that the Knicks would play better when their all-star center, Patrick Ewing, was out of the lineup.

http://gravityandlevity.wordpress.com/2009/05/28/braesss-paradox-and-the-ewing-theory/

Now, the real question is: Did David Stern know about the phenomenon and purposely give Ewing to the Knicks (with the rigged 1985 NBA Draft lottery) to spite them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TgJE7C5wiU

(start watching just before the 5 minute mark to see the infamous corner bashing of the Knicks envelope and then Stern specifically choosing the envelope with the bend corner.)

2 comments:

  1. Depending on how long we keep this blog going (it looks right now like it is capable for sustained excellence) we should have a counter for how many times we link to that video. I know we've done it twice now, maybe 3 times?

    I think the 3rd time I may have just put it in an email.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usual practice is to link to the older post, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete