No time for a full breakdown yet, but here's how the second draft went for me.
12 Randy Moss, NE
13 Calvin Johnson, Det
36 Pierre Thomas, NO
37 Jason Witten, Dal
RB/RB, WR/WR, and RB/WR were all options, with Gore/Slaton/Moss/CJ somehow all available. I love Moss' potential with Brady at the helm so I had to take him as I did in the Tyng Cup league, and John Hansen's been talking up Matt Stafford so I decided to roll with Calvin Johnson since he's extremely safe in any event. I was hoping Bush would drop to me in the 3rd but my friend Ryan, who won my work league last year for a nice payout, preempted me. I took the safe PT Cruiser but still got my play to win pick in Jason Witten, the PPR machine.
60 Knowshon Moreno, Den
61 Philip Rivers, SD
Moreno dropped to 60 probably on account of his injury and Denver being one ugly situation, but he was hard to pass up here with the alternatives being LJ or LenDale White. After him, Rivers was plainly the best player available, and I sniped him just before Ryan, Cutler, and McNabb were all taken in succession, pretty lucky.
84 Steve Breaston, Ari
85 Leon Washington, NYJ
I picked Breaston over Walter here, I think that's okay but not great especially in PPR. Washington could be huge in a league that's giving out 1 pt per 20 return yards, definitely worth an 8th round pick.
108 Rashard Mendenhall, Pit
109 Chris Chambers, SD
132 Mark Clayton, Bal
Here I added upside/depth with Mendenhall and Clayton. I was targeting Chaz Schilens at 109 but he was drafted 2 picks earlier. Luckily for me, Schilens broke his foot a day later, and Chambers is still a solid vet on a brilliant offense. Sorry Bretthew, I'm just running hot in everything this week, and that apparently includes the parts of my life that have to do with rookie wide receivers in Oakland.
133 Vikings D/ST, Min
156 Devin Thomas, Was
157 Brandon Jackson, GB
180 Joe Flacco, Bal
181 Visanthe Shiancoe, Min
204 Robbie Gould, Chi
Being really happy with my team so far, I wanted to put the nail in the coffin by getting a great defense, so I took the Vikings in the 12th. Even if the Williamses have to serve their Starcap suspension, they will be rock solid and have an easy schedule early on. Devin Thomas is just another of those upside WRs that you gotta have, and Brandon Jackson could be money in PPR if Ryan Grant goes down, because unlike Ryan Grant, he has great hands. Looking for backups, I nab Flacco and Shiancoe - a day later, the Favre news breaks and I'm very happy to have landed Shiancoe in both my leagues. Finally, I get Robbie Gould, who happens to have a leg with which to kick, thus meeting the stringent requirements of my last pick.
In a 12-team league, drafting safely for depth wasn't as much of a concern as it was in the 14-team draft, where many teams ended up being shorthanded at running back, so I took some position-related risks early on that I think paid off. While taking Witten and 2 wide receivers with my first 4 picks left my running backs pretty weak, I think it's okay in a PPR format. Overall, I don't think I could have done better given I was drafting so close behind the two fantasy cutthroats I have for co-bloggers!
No comments:
Post a Comment