5.30.2010

People. Stop Celebrating.

Kendry Morales became the latest victim, following other luminaries like the incomparable Teddy Ginn., Jr. to the dastardly phenomenon known as IWC, or Injured While Celebrating. As the AP put it,

A smiling Morales threw down his helmet a few steps from the plate, took a hop and then jumped toward the plate as teammates began to pat him on the head. Morales quickly went down and grimaced as he rolled onto his back. He lay on the ground for at least 10 minutes and waved his arms to the cheering fans as he was driven away.

Oops. I think everyone needs to learn more muted celebrations, or, as an alternate option, learn to celebrate without leaving your feet. Watch Kobe - he doesn't even discard the flying motif even though he never leaves the ground (I can't find a video, but anyone who watched last night's game knows what I'm talking about - he made a DAGGER over Grant Hill, who played basically perfect defense on him, and right in front of Suns coach Alvin Gentry. His celebration involved giving Coach Gentry a little butt-pat and a "That's what I do" shrug, and then runds down the court with his arms spread, airplane-style, like he's a 13-year-old trying to get attention from his dad on a lazy Sunday afternoon.)

Now that's a classy way to celebrate (and since I don't give Kobe much props on this here establishment, I feel like he should get his where credit is due)

No comments:

Post a Comment